Friday, June 11, 2010

Daddy--Nicole

Happy Birthday Daddy!

50 years is a long time. I've been thinking a lot about how to best honor you with my words this week. Thinking about a lot of fun times, a lot of things I've learned from you, a lot of changes I've seen in you. (Good ones of course.)

You make everything fun. Seriously. I remember when you re-roofed the Watercress house and you let me come up on the roof with you and made up a game for me. Seriously? What kind of a guy a)re-roofs his own house b) lets his kid up there with him c) isn't so busy complaining about it that he takes the time to make up a game for me to play with shingles? Member scripture memory contests for family devotions? Those are the random weird things, not to mention vacations, Monday night wrestling, and of course Mr. Mom nights! Thanks!

It's amazing how much more you appreciate your parents once you've become one! I look back and think about how much you've taught me by example from being a great dad. I think one of the coolest things I've been thinking about lately is how you involved us in all areas of your life, and kind of brought us along for the ride. I remember going to work with you, going to pick-up basketball at the park, going to Excel presentations, walking door to door collecting signatures, going to Auto Zone for the 100th time to get a part for the car, going to Wildcat games, whew! we did it all! I love that you just brought us along through all of that--it certainly made our day. Maybe you just did it cause mom was like, "If you're going to be away another night you gotta take some of the kids!" but whatever the reason I think it helped me be a well rounded kid. And it certainly taught me that life wasn't all about me and that the world is a bigger place than just me and my friends. You knew we loved being with you, so you let us. Thanks!

You've changed a lot. You're a lot more humble, you're a lot more focused on other people (and you already were in the first place!), and you're a better husband/friend to mom. And the fact that you weighed in at 189 on your 50th birthday is pretty huge! I mean I think it's pretty amazing grace that you have opened up ALL areas of your life to God to let him change you--you're not keeping any areas under lock and key. That's humility! Next, I think one of the best legacies you have passed onto your children is your focus and love for other people. Yes you do have 4 socialization junkies, but also seeing your example of caring for those people, is really challenging, and allows us to put into action our enjoyment of others, not just for ourselves but in order to serve them. You model this and excel at it. Finally, it's so great to see my parents still working at being married, not easing into old bad habits. I'm so thankful for the example of pursuing each other even after 29 years. It's made you a better husband and your marriage is a great example to many around you. Thanks!

I love you dad! Sorry I couldn't find a picture of us, they were all of my kids. You're amazing, I hope you have a great birthday even if you don't have a big party. (Which I will forever be bummed!)

No comments:

Post a Comment